Welcome back to Pause Screen, this week Kaz is out, so Kyle and William are on their own, so all bets are off. William takes the opportunity to talk about the scandalous Catherine and a bit more of Portrait of Ruin. Kyle is still stuck on Dead Cells, though he took a bit of time to try out Tekken 7. In news, Spider-Man comes out tomorrow, Destiny 2 is still getting expansions, Nintendo cancels a Direct, leaving Megaman 11’s demo out in the cold, and the Xbox Adaptive Controller is out! For discussions this week, we tackle microtransactions and the business model that is making them an unfortunate reality in gaming. We also take a look at the beautiful disaster that is Riot games attempting to change the public perception of their work culture. To finish up, we talk about some of our guilty pleasures in gaming, and speculate about what Kaz’s would be. Come pause with us!
HYPE TRAIN *toot toot*
- Spider-Man comes out tomorrow, and reviews are really good!
- The Forsaken Destiny 2 expansion came out, and is apparently pretty okay
- Rayman is going to be in Brawlhalla. RIP Smash dreams
- The Xbox Adaptive Controller launched on Tuesday!
- Hot off the heels of buying Timesplitters back, THQ Nordic has bought Kingdoms of Amalur.
- TWEWY Final Mix is priced at $50 https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-world-ends-with-you-final-remix-switch
- Megaman 11 demo is now live on Switch, and starts on Xbox and PS tomorrow https://twitter.com/MegaMan/status/1037837854112530433
- Anti-hype: Nintendo cancelled their direct for today on account of a 6.7 earthquake in Japan.
SMASH BROS RUMOR OF THE WEEK
- There are going to be characters in this game
The producer of 2K’s NBA 2K19 called microtransactions an ‘unfortunate reality’ of gaming.
The sad part is, I think I agree with him. https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/9cz8n4/2k_says_microtransactions_are_an_unfortunate/
The Riot Games drama marches on: they held a few career seminars (complete with 1-on-1 resume reviews), but only allowed women and non-binary people to attend.
Is promotion the answer to discrimination, or is it just more discrimination? Reddit seems to think the latter. https://www.dailyesports.gg/reddit-vs-riot-drama-over-female-only-league-of-legends-pax-seminars/
Podcast THING OF THE WEEK
Gaming guilty pleasures