It’s time for another episode of Pause Screen! This time, Kyle’s finally finished the futuristically fatalistic Final Fantasy VII, fully fallen into Fall Guys, and endured the fallen flat Double Kick Heroes. William has reconnected with his lost love: the Wii U Pro Controller, with which he’s played Touhou Luna Nights, Mark of the Ninja Remastered, and Hyrule Warriors. And to wrap us up, Kaz has been playing Luigi’s Mansion 3, and has returned to the handheld modding scene. On the Hype Train, we talk the Mario 35th anniversary Direct, new DC game announcements, poorly titled hashtags, the Lab Zero dissolution, being out of touch, and more! Come pause with us!
HYPE TRAIN – *toot toot*
- Nintendo did a Mario direct today for SMB’s 35th anniversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_UcjEq2Dgk
- Original SMB Game & Watch with a color screen. $50
- Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury on Switch. Looks like they added a new dive move, and the expansion seems neat. Confirmed to have online multiplayer
- Super Mario Bros. 35. It’s Tetris 99, but Mario. Goes away forever 3/31/21.
- Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars. Has 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy 1. Limited release, goes away forever 3/31/21. Comes out 9/18.
- The eShop now lets you cancels pre-orders up to 7 days out, sales now have a timer on them
- Gamescom stuff
- Ratchet and Clank gameplay demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GffelVJeGws
- The Lord of the Rings: Gollum got announced. It’s a “Prince of Persia-like stealth game” with a branching narrative https://www.ign.com/articles/gollum-lord-of-the-rings-game-prince-of-persia-stealth-branching-narrative-exclusive-trailer
- Rocksteady’s Suicide Squad game finally got announced/unveiled https://twitter.com/suicidesquadRS/status/1297326553106325504
- As did Gotham Knights, from WB Montreal. You get to play all of the not-Batman characters (he’s apparently dead) and do the whole Batman video game thing. But with 4 players! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhVf_3TeTQE
- Crusader Kings 3 came out and is apparently very good
- Avengers comes out tomorrow and apparently exists
- Big Yeetus
- Game Freak put no thought whatsoever into the name of Pokemon Masters EX, a title and content update to their mobile game. The hashtag was trending this week and made me giggle; they even registered it and did the thing where the hashtag has a little icon next to it.
SAD TRAIN *womp womp*
- Lab Zero completely fell apart in the past 2 weeks. It went from a bunch of people quitting to Mike Z supposedly parting ways with the company to him firing everyone but himself from the company as of yesterday. Wild story, RIP Skullgirls and Indivisible. https://twitter.com/personasama/status/1301237982532231168
- Ubisoft’s mobile game Tom Clancy’s Elite Squad launched last week. The story is about Umbra, a group of renegade protestors causing riots in the streets, committing terrorist acts, and rising up against the government to seize control. The opening cinematic literally uses the Black Lives Matter fist as this group’s insignia. It was impressively stupid of them, and they removed it as of Tuesday, but geez. https://twitter.com/Ubisoft/status/1299778491811069954 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9_CLKOOp8I
- Vlambeer (Ridiculous Fishing, Nuclear Throne, Luftrausers) is no more https://twitter.com/Vlambeer/status/1300840760296837120
- Apple terminated Epic’s account on the App Store https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-epic-games/apple-terminates-epic-games-account-on-app-store-idUSKBN25O2YM?il=0