Time for another episode of Pause Screen! In this episode Kyle talks about Forager, Transistor, Spongebob: BfBBR, and Smash; William covers his Undertale genocide run, Fate/Extra, and what happened to his Switch; and Kaz relates her adventures with Animal Crossing, FE: Three Houses, Carrion, WoW, and the Lastu of Us 2. On the Hype Train, we talk Sony’s State of Play, xCloud, the Nintendo gigaleak, Halo Infinite’s multiplayer, recent announcements, and more! Come pause with us!
HYPE TRAIN – *toot toot*
- Sony had a State of Play today
- Crash 4 looks great. No microtransactions (supposedly), lots of callbacks to the original trilogy. Footage was 60 FPS, hopefully that’s in the final game. And you get to play as Dingodile! Hopefully that means good things for Tiny Tiger?
- Hitman 3 has a VR mode
- Braid Anniversary Edition is a thing. It’s prettier, has all of the commentary
- The Pathless exists. Also, the line “you won’t be able to take on the cursed spirits until you return light to the obelisks” is the most generic video game phrase I’ve heard in a looooong time
- Spelunky 2 takes place on the moon, has online multiplayer
- You can historical anime your way through Genshin Impact if you really want to
- Aeon Must Die is a decent looking, stylish indie beat em up
- Apparently all the devs working on Aeon Must Die quit the studio this week after missed paychecks and poor crunch conditions. This trailer was put together by contract developers from the company who still owns the IP. Seems weird on Sony’s part to still show the trailer under those conditions. https://twitter.com/calibrono/status/1291474562752950273
- They showed some Bugsnax gameplay, it looks like Viva Pinata had a baby with Pokemon Snap and Skyrim elements. Love the sense of humor
- Vader Immortal is a VR game where you get to murder people as Darth Vader and are presumably immortal
- Control’s second expansion certainly looks like more Control
- Auto Chess coming to PS4. It’s only like 2 years too late to the party
- The Pedestrian is a videogame that you could play. You’re the person from the walking sign platforming your way through environments. Looks like Lost in Shadow.
- Hood: Outlaws and Legends is a 4 player 3rd person action RPG thing that looks super generic
- Temtem (that Pokemon knockoff that everyone forgot about) is coming to PS4
- Godfall continues to look weirdly fun to me despite being almost guaranteed to be a kinda boring launch title. They showed a bunch of gameplay and it looks comfortably generic/mediocre, and is just Destiny, but Devil May Cry with a dose of Dark Souls. You even get to adventure through the lands of earth, air, fire, and water.
- Halo Infinite’s multiplayer is going to be free to play and will support 120 FPS on the Series X https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1289298976550731776
- xCloud is launching as part of Game Pass on September 15th. It’ll allow you to play Game Pass games on Android devices, like tablets and phones. iOS is blocking it because Apple requires games to have individual listings on the App Store—they don’t allow for any kind of other storefront, even for a streaming service like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KCtXJUekyo
- Nintendo had a ‘gigaleak’ last week—that is, someone hacked into their servers and got a ton of data out. There’s a lot of interesting stuff in there (dev notes in source code for games like Starfox or Pokemon Red/Blue, early Yoshi designs, etc.), but digging through the data is quite the moral dilemma, given how it was obtained.
- According to Tekken’s Katsuhiro Harada, more than half of fighting game players use wifi for online matches https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2020/aug/02/over-50-percent-console-fighting-game-players-use-wi-fi-online-matches-according-katsuhiro-harada/
- Nintendo randomly pushed a Smash update with Small Battlefield and a better tickrate for 1v1 online matches on Tuesday night
- Pikmin 3 Deluxe got announced for the Switch, which means there are now like 3 Wii U games that haven’t been ported yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSSQ0Z6eDhU
- PS4 has sold over 112 million units, Switch has now sold 61.5 million
- Fall Guys came out, already has over 1.5 million players
- Horizon: Zero Dawn came out on PC, is a solid port
- Microsoft Flight Simulator came out, is apparently really neat
- All Xbone controllers will work with the Series X. They’ve said this before, but it’s worth reiterating given the next news story… https://twitter.com/xboxuk/status/1290295664019222528
SAD TRAIN *womp womp*
- PS4 controllers will only work to play PS4 games on the PS5, although your PSVR headset will still work with a free adapter https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/03/playstation-5-answering-your-questions-on-compatible-ps4-peripherals-accessories/
- Spider-Man in Square’s Avengers game is going to be exclusive to PS4 https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/03/a-friendly-neighborhood-spider-man-lends-a-helping-hand-to-earths-mightiest-heroes-in-2021/
- EA launched Rocket Arena a few weeks ago, which was their attempt at a hero shooter. It launched for $40. It’s already on clearance in most stores for $10 or less. Two weeks after its 7/14 release, it had 142 concurrent players at its peak. It’s a pretty spectacular failure, and really speaks to the realities of making a multiplayer-focused game in the modern era. https://www.ccn.com/ea-new-multiplayer-game-rocket-arena-total-failure/