It’s time for another episode of Pause Screen! In this episode, Kaz begins winding down on Animal Crossing, William is still slowly moving through Three Houses, and Kyle’s been playing Code Vein, Bravely Default, and Streets of Rage 4. On board the Hype Train, we talk about the surprise reveal of Paper Mario: The Origami King, Unreal Engine, poorly handled Xbox events, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater, and more! Come pause with us!
HYPE TRAIN – *toot toot*
- Nintendo unveiled Paper Mario: The Origami King today. Looks pretty good! It has a neat new ring-based battle system, but we don’t know if it has experience points yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX6DTLcWUdY
- Epic showed off Unreal Engine 5, which looks gorgeous. I doubt it’ll be quite as amazing as the tech demo, but I’m still excited for the improvements in the dev pipeline and visual fidelity. On top of that, it’s free until your game hits $1 million in revenue, which is also wild. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw
- Xbox had a big event they touted as the big gameplay reveal for Assassin’s Creed Valhalla and other Series X stuff… but it was mostly cinematics that were supposedly ‘in-engine’, and nothing that looked like I’d be holding a controller and playing it. Almost all the games they showed off were pretty meh third party stuff too. In fact, Xbox’s head of marketing even admitted he screwed up.
- Sony has created an umbrella brand of ‘Playstation Studios’ for all their stuff. Makes a lot more sense than the old divisions between Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Santa Monica, etc., especially with their PC ports as of late. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-05-12-sony-unveils-playstation-studios-brand-to-launch-alongside-ps5
- Geoff Keighley announced Summer Games Fest, a thing that runs from May – August and seems to just be an aggregator of everyone’s not-E3 info dumps. https://www.summergamefest.com/
- Speaking of which, Ubisoft announced they’re doing UbiForward, their not-E3 thing, on July 12. https://twitter.com/Ubisoft/status/1259876577506136064
- Activision announced a Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2 remake! Looks great. Even has a lot of the original soundtrack. Color me hype. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0mNQxLUHyg
- Sony did an 18 minute Ghost of Tsushima State of Play presentation today. It is definitely a Sony game complete with lots of random resource gathering/crafting and combat that looks very Mordor-ish, but with samurai. Very pretty, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fMlkQy7r28
SAD TRAIN *womp womp*
- Phil Spencer says we’ll see big impacts on the gaming industry from coronavirus starting in early 2021. That first year new console slump is gonna hit hard. https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/video-game-delays-due-to-coronavirus-early-2021-2020-5-1029183430