We’re all back and didn’t have any technical difficulties! The crew highlights some of the things we’ve been playing over the past week (month). Kaz is killing it in the mount hunting arena, Kyle is killing it the game collection arena, and William is very happy with Collection of Mana. After we highlight our favorite announcements from the Nintendo Direct, and make fun of our not-so-favorite announcements too. And in discussions we briefly talk about the Me too uprising in the Indie Game scene and the sudden departure of Ikumi Nakamura from Tango Gameworks. What is going on? Anyways, Come pause with us!
HYPE TRAIN – *toot toot*
- Nintendo Direct
- All dat Smash goodness. Terry, another season of DLC, Banjo out now, Sans
- SNES games on NSO, and you can buy an SNES controller for $30 to go with it
- Doom 64 port (surprisingly nice. 64 is a completely different game and has never seen re-release)
Weeb SimulatorTokyo Mirage Sessions is getting a Switch port
- Deadly Premonition is somehow getting a sequel (subtitle: A Blessing in Disguise)
- Xenoblade Chronicles is getting a remaster that finally makes the game look nice instead of like everyone really enjoys vaseline
- Trials of Mana release date April 24, 2020
- Reggie is going to teach at Cornell starting this year, which is neat.
- New Wii fit peripheral for the switch? https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/5/20851960/nintendo-switch-fitness-controller-exercise-video
Many prominent figures in the industry have had abuse and other allegations levelled at them in the past few weeks.
I don’t know that we want to dwell on this one (particularly Alec Holowka), but a good 5+ prominent devs had victims step forward in the past couple weeks. Looks like it might be the start of a long ride.
Ikumi Nakamura has announced she’s leaving Tango Gameworks.
It’s a pretty big deal given her introduction by Mikami to talk about Ghostwire: Tokyo; she was clearly being set up as his successor. Details are sparse on why she left so suddenly in the middle of production on the game she was writing, directing, and everything-ing. It’s not even for another gig, she has a call for work in her resignation tweet. https://twitter.com/nakamura193/status/1169350900772564992