This week on Pause Screen Kyle talks more Smash, Tetris 99, and Fire Emblem Echoes, while William has been too sick to play anything except some Daemon X Machina. For this week’s Hype Train we talk about the EVO lineup, Pokemon Sword and Shield, Detective Pikachu, Anthem, Darksiders 3, some journalism, and an unusual game title. We also discuss Reggie’s upcoming retirement, potential relationships between Microsoft and Nintendo, and GOG’s recent layoffs. Come pause with us!
HYPE TRAIN *toot toot*
- EVO announced their lineup. No Melee this year on the main stage. https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/av7xzt/evo_2019_main_lineup_revealed/
- Pokemon Sword and Shield got announced, are still definitely Pokemon
- Who cares, there was a second trailer for Detective Pikachu!
- Anthem is kind of out, and people kind of don’t like it.
- Darksiders 3 made back its budget!
- Cecilia D’Anastasio from Kotaku won the digital news award at the Writers’ Guild of America for her story on Riot Games’ sexism
- Square Enix launched a Twitter account for their new IP, “Last Idea”. The jokes write themselves. It’s even a mobile gacha game! https://twitter.com/LASTIDEA_RPG
Goodbye Reggie, hello Bowser.
Reggie is retiring at the ripe old age of 57 and Doug Bowser, the SVP of Sales and Marketing, is taking his place. My body is not ready. https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190221005804/en/
Rumors are flying about Microsoft and Nintendo.
Think they’ll actually put Games Pass on the Switch? What about Xbox Live?
GOG laid of 12 people and appears to be struggling a bit.
The PC marketplace is basically the wild west these days, it’s interesting to see it in upheaval after so many years of Steam’s dominance. Who’s gonna win? Can Fortnite keep carrying the Epic Games Store? https://kotaku.com/facing-financial-pressures-gog-quietly-lays-off-at-lea-1832879826