With sickness spreading through the Pausescreen crew, William unfortunately couldn’t join us this week. Kaz spent a bunch of time playing Stardew Valley, and Kyle stayed up way too late playing KH3. He also played and brought up the charming Astro Bot: Rescue Mission, an interesting VR game. On the Hype Train we talk about the Wii Shop channel closing forever, RE2 remake, Erik Wolpaw’s return to Valve, Farming simulator’s new esport and more. In the news we try to figure out what is going on at Gearbox as lawsuits and serious criminal accusations fly back and forth, We celebrate with Bungie on their split with Activision and speculate what the future will hold. We discuss the loss of some gaming history with Machinima’s dirty move on their Youtube channel, And we talk about how much american’s spent on Video games in 2018. Come Pause with us!
HYPE TRAIN *toot toot*
- The Wii Shop channel closes forever next week, so make sure to download your stuff/use your leftover points.
- Resident Evil 2 Remake is out tomorrow, and got great reviews.
- KINGDOM HEARTS 3. It’s real! And getting good reviews!
- Erik Wolpaw is working at Valve again. He wrote Portal 1 / 2 and co-wrote Half Life 2 eps. 1 and 2, so that potentially means good things
- Farming Simulator is getting an esports league with $280,000 in prizes. https://twitter.com/verge/status/1088087297810202624
- Smash set a new record for most money made in the first month by a console exclusive game. Crazy. It unseated Halo Reach, which has held the title since 2010.
- Steamworld Quest got announced, which is a card based RPG. This series continues to bewilder and delight me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDA5FuOnsfA
- Mortal Kombat 11 had its reveal! It’s still Mortal Kombat. The fatalities are rad, from what we’ve seen so far.
- ESO: Elsweyr (home of the Khajit) got announced. There’s a neat cinematic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcDY-5GjGaE
- AGDQ raised $2.4 million and was neat. The Mega Man X relay race was excellent. Urban Yeti and the DK Tropical Freeze races were also pretty memorable.
- HBomberguy did a 100% run of Donkey Kong 64 to raise money for a UK charity supporting trans youth (Mermaids UK). Grant Kirkhope, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and tons of other celebs showed up on stream, and he raised $340k over the course of a grueling 57 hour run. https://techraptor.net/content/streamer-hbomberguy-raises-230000-trans-charity
- Nintendo is suing Soulja Boy. Surprise! And so is Epic and everyone else as he keeps announcing new consoles “with Fortnite.”
Its former general counsel (Wade Callendar) is suing them for Randy Pitchford supposedly having child porn. The company explained it away as being ‘barely legal’ porn, and that it was discovered (along with secret company docs) when he left a USB drive with it at a Medieval Times. He had the videos on there because he was impressed by the ‘magic’ of it, and he’s an amateur magician. Also, Gearbox is suing Callendar for improper use of funds and failing to reimburse, on things such as tuition, parties, and ‘getting six pack abs’. Yep.
Bungie split with Activision.
They now own the Destiny IP and are independent once again. It’ll be interesting to see if they can save it, and it’s real interesting that Activision let it go after their 10 year contract and all the marketing money they dumped into that thing. Hopefully they can Make Destiny Great Again.
Machinima’s Youtube channel was wiped this past week.
It’s a big milestone, since they were key in bringing the streamer/videos of video games culture of today to fruition. Apparently the new owner is pulling things down to put on a streaming service somewhere. Any fond memories?
Americans spent $43b on video games this past year – a new high by a long shot.
We keep saying gaming is only getting bigger, but it’s crazy how bit it’s actually getting. Where do we go from here? How will new consoles make the transition? Will VR catch on, or will it take 20 more years like normal games did? Side note: Fortnite was $2.4 billion of that. That’s $6.6 million per day. Geez.